Destination Southern Tasmania (DST) welcomed the State Government’s announcement of an additional $8 million in the 2015-16 budget for tourism marketing and industry development.
The peak tourism body for southern Tasmania praised the Government’s commitment to tourism as a major economic contributor for the state.
“The budget recognises the importance of tourism to Tasmania and the need to continue to invest in quality infrastructure and developing quality visitor experiences,” said Melinda Anderson, CEO Destination Southern Tasmania.
“It was very pleasing to see the strong commitment to initiatives that support growth in regional tourism and spreading the benefits of the visitor economy throughout the state.”
The budget included $920,000 over four years to the four Regional Tourism Organisations and $3 million over three years to support the industry to create new experiences that support statewide strategic priorities. There was also $610,000 over three years for a Regional Events Start-Up Program to support and attract new events.
“We welcome the strong support shown by the Government to the Regional Tourism Organisations as the peak bodies to represent the interests of regional tourism. Our goal is to support the sustainable development of the tourism industry through capacity building, industry development and advocacy. “
“We look forward to working with the other Regional Tourism Organisations and state industry bodies to help to meet the Government’s visitation objective of 1.5 million visitors by 2020, increasing regional dispersal and yield and maximising the benefits of tourism to local communities,” said Ms Anderson.
Summary of $8million funding announcement:
- $3 million over three years to Tourism Tasmania for additional promotion in key markets
- $3 million over three years to support the industry to create new experiences and to ensure it is ready for future growth
- $920,000 over four years in additional funding for Regional Tourism Organisations
- $610,000 over three years for a Regional Events Start Up Program to support and attract new events
- $400,000 over four years to increase Tasmania’s share of the business events market
Phone 0400 457 132