Taking your tourism business to the next level
This year, Destination Southern Tasmania’s annual Summit was held on Tuesday, the 7th of August, at Blundstone Arena.
Each year, the Summit provides an opportunity for tourism industry professionals to share ideas, experiences and best practice strategies to grow your business.
It is an accessible, industry-led event which explores the latest research, consumer insights and examples of leading operators. It’s primary objective is to equip you with practical, relevant tools that can be immediately adapted and applied to tourism businesses of any size or genre to achieve better business outcomes.
Business Evolution was this year’s overarching theme for the Summit, so there was much discussion around CHANGE: recognising it, responding to it, creating it, managing it, and bringing others along for the ride. We’ explored the concept of continuous improvement, Lean UX methodology and as always, new research in consumer behaviour.
MC’d by the wise and fierce Dr Polly McGee, this year’s line-up of speakers provided valuable insight, intelligence and inspiration:
- The Hon. Will Hodgman, Premier of Tasmania, Minister for Tourism
- Dr Polly McGee, Author, Speaker and Strategist, Polly McGee
- Sara Dolnicar, Research Professor, University of Queensland
- Penny Rafferty, Executive Officer, Luxury Lodges of Australia
- Michele Bain, Owner, Yondah Beach House
- David Shering, Principal, Handbuilt Creative
- Steve Willing, Organisational Development Specialist, Growth in Mind
- John Fitzgerald, CEO, Tourism Tasmania
- Heath Garratt, General Manager, Tasmanian Walking Company
- Andrew Smith, Owner, William Smith and Sons
- Madi Seeber-Peattie, Owner, Farm Gate Market, Street Eats @ Franko and the Food and Beverage Collective
- Scott Verdouw, Director, JAWS Architects