This year, Destination Southern Tasmania’s annual Summit was held on Tuesday, the 6th of August, at Blundstone Arena.
Each year, the Summit provides an opportunity for tourism industry professionals to share ideas, experiences and best practice strategies to grow your business.
It is an accessible, industry-led event which explores the latest research, consumer insights and examples of leading operators. It’s primary objective is to equip you with practical, relevant tools that can be immediately adapted and applied to tourism businesses of any size or genre to achieve better business outcomes.
As this year’s Summit program developed, some very strong themes emerged. Much of the day was spent thinking and talking about connecting: with place, with communities, with stories and with each other because the most successful businesses, and the businesses that will survive hardship are inclusive, collaborative and connected. They are the ones that, together, will raise tourism to new heights.
MC’d by sports commentator and quiz meister extraordinaire, Andy “Tubes” Taylor, this year’s line-up of speakers provided valuable insight, intelligence and inspiration, as well as practical tools to support business development:
- Scott Rankin, Creative Director and CEO, Big hART and 2018 Tasmanian Australian of the Year
- Todd Babiak, CEO, Brand Tasmania
- Bill Forrester, Co-founder, Travability Travel
- Rebecca Summers, Senior Events Producer, Business Chicks
- John Fitzgerald, CEO, Tourism Tasmania
- Bill Lark, Godfather of Tasmanian Whisky
- Christie Sweeting, Manager Partnerships, Tourism Tasmania
- Giles Fisher, Owner, Freycinet Marine Farm
- Dewayne Everettsmith, Cultural Awareness Coordinator, Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre
- and more!